Seven Questions for Jacqueline Bach


This week's #SevenQuestions are directed at the lovely miss Jacqueline Bach. I have known Jackie for more than five years now - after I butted in on a conversation she was having twitter - and, since then, she's proven to be a great friend, supporter, Harry Potter superfan, and poster of pony videos lol. A visit on my blog is long overdue, so I will waste no more time...over to you, Jackie...


Jackie and her critters!

1 - Which character from another book/series would you like to bring into your own book/series?

Duh, Harry Potter (but my own version of him), or really any of the awesome minor characters -- I loved Sirius Black and Remus Lupin and would totally hi-jack those guys if I had the chance. Also Luna Lovegood, she was a great character too. Really, there are too many characters in that world that are great....I need to go back and re-read those books again!

2 - Which actor/actress would you love to see play your characters in a movie adaptation?

Oh, this is a fun one and will completely express my nerd-dom. My best friend/writing partner who passed away, Michelle, and I actually came up with all of the actors for our characters back in the mid 2000s....while some of my ideas have changed, for many of these I'd need to go back in time.... good thing I'm writing a time travel trilogy! So, in that series I'm agent-hunting for, my main character, Tim, would be played by a young Zac Efron (like, "Summerland" and "High School Musical Zac"). My mental image for his sister, Daisy (my other protagonist), changes constantly, but the current pick for her would probably be AnnaSophia Robb (Bridge to Terabithia), but this could literally change tomorrow. Their sister, Nevaeh, would be portrayed by a young Taylor Momsen (Gossip Girl). Tim's adoptive Dad would be Nathan Fillion (Castle). Tim and Daisy's dad would be Eric Johnson (Smallville), while Daisy's mom would be played by Canadian actress, Britt Irvin. If you made it through reading this whole random list, good for you :P

3 - Who would play YOU in a movie version of your life?
  
I've been told by a few people that I resemble Spencer from Pretty Little Liars. Back in the day, when I had time to do things like watch TV or Movies, I would be able to give a better answer based on personality, but really, shouldn't any good actress be able to portray anyone? ;)

4 - If you won $100 million on the lottery would you still write?

If I won $100 million on the lottery, it might actually give me the chance to write! Right now my life is consumed with work, caring for my pony (which is more cleaning up, than it is actually playing with her -- that part is the reward), and caring for my puppy, (who is also mostly cleaning up ...she's still pretty little, and as she grows, some of the challenges fade, but new ones are constantly coming up!). ;)

5 - Which writer has influenced you most?

There are a couple, J.K. Rowling actually helped inspire me to dunk back into the world of writing when I was in high school. Mark Farrington, one of my writing professors from graduate school, helped shape who I am as a writer. Also Betty Flowers wrote an article called Madman, Architect, Carpenter and Judge, which has highly influenced my revision process (I believe I first got this article from my teacher, also a published author, Michelle Brafman)

6 - One piece of advice for new writers?

Just write.
Go read "S***y First Drafts" by Anne Lamont and you will appreciate this phrase all that more. In fact, please get her book, Bird By Bird, read it, read it again, and keep it close. Trust me, you won't be sorry.
Just write -- it's going to be bad, recognize that, and it's very freeing. That's what revision is for.
Part B to this advice would be....learn to revise, and find some good critique partners who can help kick-start this process with you.
But really, think about it. It's pretty simple. If you don't write, you can't be a writer.


7 - What's your favorite thing about your story?

The character relationships. If I could just live in a story of no real plot, just character building and character relationships, and there was a market for that, I would just write that all the time. I feel like (and have been told) that the relationships and dialogues between my characters feel real and deep. I take a lot of pride in that aspect of my writing.

Thank you for asking me to do this, this is the first time anyone has interviewed me for their blog! :)

And now, you must all check out Jackie's links...









Comments

  1. Refreshing and humorous interview. I caught myself laughing tons of times. Fan of Castle as well as your other visions for your characters. Great shares on writer books and can't wait to read the relationship and convo in your books! And...and...and just a good interview! Gareth and Jacqueline this was a fun read!

    Lexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sorry for the delay in seeing this but this made my day!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selling your book or selling your soul?

Questions for Spartagus.

Blogging from A to Z: H is for...Helicopters